I just wanted to check in with you guys and share my experience doing a 7-day sugar detox (for the first time!) inspired by Rachael’s Good Eats. After reading her blog post on the 7-day sugar detox, I decided to give it a shot. How bad could it be right? As some of you may know, I’ve fallen into the trap of many cleanses in the past. My last cleanse was regrettably a juice cleanse and it was a bit of a disaster. However after educating myself so much more, I decided this sugar detox would be a great reset for me. The idea of maintaining your blood sugar levels is something that should be a part of your daily life – I learned this after reading Body Love by Kelly Leveque (highly recommend read). I find that avoiding sugars in the morning (replacing with healthy fats and protein instead), helps me stay energized, satisfied, and keeps me from crashing. IE: instead of having a bowl of fruit for breakfast, I’d have avocado toast or a Fab 4 Smoothie (Kelly’s Leveque’s signature swear by shake – contains protein, fat, greens, and fiber).
So since I don’t have a ton of sugar on the regs, this detox wasn’t extremely difficult for me. However, I STILL struggled every now and then but more so in social settings. It also tested my will power when I got packages in the mail with new treats to try out from incredibly generous and wonderful companies. Confession: I actually slipped my first day because I totally forgot I was even doing the detox until I was reading the amount of sugar was in each serving. Yikes!
Out of sight, out of mind! I found that my cravings would go away if I just avoided the sugary aisles at the grocery store. This was extremely hard though with all the holiday baking posts on Instagram. Although I will say it did get easier as the week went on!
The benefits? Personally, I experienced no crash and I didn’t have craving. This also meant less snacking! My grapefruit tasted like candy and that in itself was pretty incredible.
Here are some quick tips if you’re looking to try a sugar detox:
- Using pomegranate seeds in salads – just a little sprinkle but it was so satisfying!
- Berries in oats/smoothies. They’re not as sweet as bananas and I actually prefer the tartness in berries over bananas.
- Bulletproof chocolate with nut butter. I craved chocolate more than I craved anything else! This is sugar detox friendly and did the trick.
- Eating small portions of fruit and then seeing if my body wanted more before investing in the entire piece. I did this with grapefruit especially and at most, I had half at a time.
- Cacao and cinnamon everything! For all of my chocolate lovers, it will help so much.
- Bulletproof matcha/coffee. I prefer my coffee black anyway so by adding some brain octane and healthy fats into my morning drink, I start my day off on a good start. I tried to avoid having fruit first thing in the morning because I didn’t want it to make me feel like I needed more.
- Lee From America’s coconut fat balls! SO DELISH.
- Again, out of sight out of mind! If there’s a plate of cookies in front of you, move it or walk away. Don’t let it taunt you!
Here are some quick recipes that became staples this week! Honestly, they have become combinations of things that I enjoy and prefer them over sugary alternatives.
- 2 scoops collagen peptides (I used Vital Proteins)
- steamed purple sweet potato
- Trader Joes frozen kombocha squash
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (I used Navitas Organics)
- 2 tsp açaí powder (I used Sari Foods Company)
- 1 tsp ashwaghandam (I used Maju Superfoods)
- topped with Lee from America’s coconut fat ball, bee pollen, and cinnamon
QUICK POST WORKOUT SHAKE
- 2 scoops collagen peptides
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Lee from America’s fat ball
- sprinkle of blackberries
Final verdict? YES. DO IT. I am already excited to do this again in January. I felt so good after the week was through and although I thought I’d be so excited to have sugar again… I didn’t. I woke up the next morning and made my Bulletproof matcha and added one scoop of Terra Origin’s Greens Superfoods in mint and it was SO SWEET. I couldn’t believe it. My taste buds were totally in heaven. Also wanted to note, before I started the detox I wanted to bake EVERY treat on my IG feed, but now I don’t have much of a desire to. Part of that is due to laziness but I just don’t have that crazy desire to anymore.
Have you guys tried a sugar detox? I know it’s not for everyone but I’d love to know what you think!